Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Wikipedia Trail: from Halloween to A Midsummer Night's Dream

Happy Halloween! (Pixabay)

Halloween
It is a no big surprise why I chose Halloween as a topic for this post.  It is one of my favorite holidays.  Who does not like bobbing for apples, going to a haunted warehouse.  Some times I wish I was still young enough to go trick-or-treating.  However, that does not stop my from dressing up.

Trick-or-treating
So to night is cold and it is raining.  So I have not had a lot of trick-or-treaters.  The people I work with will be happy because they get all the left over candy.  Apparently, trick-or-treating became popular in the United States in the late 1920s.  Although it did slow down during World War 2 because of the sugar rationing.

William Shakespeare
Shakespeare mentions All Hallows Tide, which is an older more religious version of the modern day Halloween.  He is without a doubt one of my favorite writers.  St. Crispin's Day speech from Henry V is one of the most powerful and inspiring speeches I have ever heard. 

A Midsummer Night's Dream
This is my favorite Shakespeare plays.  It is a fun and light hearted comedy.  It was written in 1595 or 1596, which is early in his career.  It has one of best characters ever, a fairy named Robin Goodfellow (Puck).  His best scene is at the where he basically tells the audience if they did not like the play, perhaps it was just a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment