Thursday, October 4, 2018

Week 7 Story: The Ties That Bind

Pandavas Leave This World (Indian Epics: Images and PDE Epics)

The Ties that Bind

Vayu, the Wind God, left his breezy path and returned to heaven.  He sought out Dharma, the Lord of Death and Justice.  Upon reaching his chambers, Vayu asked for Dharma for his counsel.  The reason was a delicate matter that is best left between family members.

“Dharma, we should discuss the trials that face our son’s.  I have observed their choices, and I fear they are on a dark path.  My son Bhima, has become crueler during their exile.  He cares not about the destruction of flora and fauna.  While your son Yudhishthira, caused their banishment by having no self-control, and did not stop gambling when he should,” said Vayu.

The words caused Dharma to pause and reflect.  He too had grown concerned over the choices that the Pandava brothers have made in recent weeks. Eventually he turned to Vayu with a furrowed brow.

“I to share your concerns Vayu.  However, you know we are forbidden to interfere,” said Dharma.

“We must do something!  They are our children.  Surely, there must be something we can do?” said Vayu.

After a few moments, Dharma said, “How about a compromise.  We help guide them but not directly.  They would never know it was us.  We would just nudge them along the proper course.”

So, the two Gods parted ways and started to devise plans to help their children in a time of need.  They both knew that the exile was hard on the sons because their mother Kunti did not accompany them.  Even though they are grown men, there are times when they still need their parents’ help. 

Vayu rode the wind currents back to earth.  He sought his oldest son Hanuman.  Vayu had nothing but the greatest love for Hanuman.  As luck would have it Hanuman was wondering through the same woods that Bhima lived during his time of exile. 

“My son!  Please help your half-brother.  He is so much younger than you and could use your guidance.  I would talk to him myself if I could, but such a thing is not possible.  I fear he treads a dark path, and it is a fate that I wish to spare him from,” said Vayu.

“Of course, father,” said Hanuman, “I have seen the destruction he has caused.  He kills tigers and elephants with no remorse.  I will speak to him about the four Yuga.  Also, I will remind him of the four castes and what is expected of each.  Perhaps this will make him consider others and lessen his pride.  After all, Bhima is my brother, and I do not wish to see him fail because of his arrogance.”

“Thank you my most beloved son.  I knew I could count on you,” said Vayu.

“Ha-Ha! Think nothing of it! What is family for?” said Hanuman.

With a great weight lifted off his shoulders, Vayu returned to heaven.  He wanted to speak with Dharma.  First, he wanted to inform Dharma, about the progress he had made with Bhima.  Second, he was curious about how Dharma fared with Yudhishthira.  He was greatly surprised to find out that Dharma would not return to heaven for quite some time.

For years now, Dharma had concealed himself in the form of a hound.  Yudhishthira, loved the hound.  He was Yudhishthira’s best friend and loyal companion.  Eventually, Dharma realized that Yudhishthira needed a reminder to be humble.  So, he asked his friend the mongoose to tell the story of the Brahman and his family.  The mongoose recounted the tale after Yudhishthira’s great horse sacrifice.  Dharma was pleased that it had the desired humbling effect on Yudhishthira.  Content, Dharma decided to remain as a hound until the Pandava family returned to heaven.  He could not bring himself to abandon his son when he would need his father the most.  After all, they were family.

Author’s Note

This story was based on the PDE version of The Mahabharata.  I found it interesting how the family connections of the Pandava family were so complex.  So, this story focused on the two Gods and their sons.  The Mahabharata only briefly mentioned the fathers.  I chose to take a lot of liberties with this story.  I found it hard to believe that the fathers would not take an active interest in their sons’ grand adventure.  I took snippets of the four stories and created a back story where the fathers caused the events in The Mahabharata to occur.  The original stories can be read by following the links in the sources section.

Sources
Bhima and Hanuman, The Mahabharata, A Summary, John Mandeville Macfie.
The Mongoose, The Story of The Great War, Annie Besant.
The Pandavas Depart, Indian Myth and Legend, Donald A. Mackenzie.
The Sons of Pandu, Indian Myth and Legend, Donald A. Mackenzie.


5 comments:


  1. Hello Ramona! I just wanted to start off by saying I loved your story! You had my attention from the beginning till the very end! I can also see you put a lot of hard work and time into your writing. Therefore, keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more of the creative stories you write this semester! Have a great weekend! Also, good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ramona! I first wanted to say that I really like your blog background, it's so pretty! Secondly, I really enjoyed reading your story. The use of dialogue was great and was full of emotions that the characters were feeling!
    So did the Pandavas ever make it into heaven? I like that you left off without really going into further detail because I fee like they did.. but if they didn't then that is a great transition for another story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ramona! I love the creativity of this story! I like that you connected 4 different stories to create this story! Your writing is very descriptive and clear. You can tell that a lot of attention to detail and thought went into your writing. Keep up the good work this semester and good luck with the rest of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ramona! I really liked this fatherly side to the Gods that you created. It was very heart-warming and I liked their personalities coincided with the ways that they reached out to their sons. It is so awesome that you used several stories to weave together your own, and that you did it so well. You really made a clear story that wasn't confusing and I could clearly understand the logical progression of the characters. I wasn't confused by anyone's actions because your characterization had made it clear that this was in line with who they are. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story!
    I really enjoyed the humanizing aspect of the gods playing good parental figures (it happens too often in mythology that being good parents is the last thing on their celestial to-do list). I found it sweet that Dharma would stay with his son in the form of a loyal companion, and I really appreciated the extra context this story gave Hanuman’s cameo appearance. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete